'Sadness and pain'Antisemitic incidents in Victoria hit record high

564 reports in a single year

JCCV now spends about 80 per cent of its time on antisemitism and community safety.

JCCV CEO Naomi Levin at the Royal Commission.
JCCV CEO Naomi Levin at the Royal Commission.

The Jewish Community Council of Victoria (JCCV) now spends about 80 per cent of its time on antisemitism and community safety, an exact reversal of the position before October 7, 2023, CEO Naomi Levin told the Royal Commission last week.

Levin said that before October 2023 the JCCV had spent roughly 20 per cent of its time on antisemitism and security and 80 per cent on other issues. “Post October 2023, there has been an exact flip,” she said.

Levin told the commission that 564 antisemitic incidents were reported to the Community Security Group (CSG) in Victoria in 2025, the highest ever documented in the state in a single year, and said the upward trend had predated October 7 before being significantly exacerbated.

She opened by resisting the framing of the community as defined by its distress.

“I’m here today representing one of the most vibrant and active Jewish communities in the world, and it’s really regrettable for us that all many Australians know about our community is the sadness and pain,” she said, citing nine Jewish schools, more than 50 synagogues, and a welfare organisation whose volunteers provide more than 70,000 meals a year.

You have reached your monthly article limit

You have reached your monthly limit of 3 articles. Do you want to keep reading The Australian Jewish News? Subscribe Now
read more:
comments

Enjoy Unlimited Access To The Australian Jewish News Website And All Our Online Content For AUD$18/month Or Just AUD$120/year.

Subscribe Now