Albanese defends government’s record on antisemitism
"I've called out antisemitism consistently. I'll continue to do so," the Prime Minister told The AJN.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese defended the federal government’s record on hate and extremism in the wake of Sunday evening’s heinous terrorist attack at Bondi.
It comes as criticism that the government has not done enough to combat antisemitism and extremism in Australia from the Jewish community, opposition politicians and others intensifies – criticism that was deflected by Albanese.
“I’ve called out antisemitism consistently. I’ll continue to do so,” the Prime Minister told The AJN.
“We have undertaken a range of actions. Clearly, there are people in the community who feel that that is not enough, and I respect that. I’m continuing to engage. Clearly, more needs to be done.”
Amid charges that the government has not acted on antisemitism envoy Jillian Segal’s report released in July, Albanese said the government had been implementing recommendations from he report.
“This is a dynamic document. The challenge of antisemitism isn’t about saying right, job done. It will be an evolving document that we will continue to engage with,” he said.
He called media reports that the state Premiers had to raise the report in their National Cabinet meeting “just nonsense”.
Albanese visited Bondi Pavilion on Monday morning, where he laid flowers. Describing the attack, he said, “There are nights that tear at the nation’s soul, and Sunday night was one of them.
“I am bloody angry about what happened on Sunday night. We will not stand for it. We will take whatever action is necessary.”
Meanwhile, Opposition Leader Sussan Ley announced the Coalition has established a dedicated taskforce on antisemitism, extremism and counter-terrorism in the wake of the attack.
The taskforce will have three priorities: driving full implementation of Segal’s report, strengthening Australia’s counter-terrorism response, and undertaking direct engagement with Jewish community leaders.
“The Prime Minister has said he will do whatever it takes. That means doing the hard work, not delaying it like the government has done to date,” Ley said.
“That must start with implementing the antisemitism envoy’s report in full, not shelving it or watering it down.”
Ley said ASIO had been clear that antisemitism represents the greatest threat to loss of life in Australia.
“When our intelligence agencies issue warnings of that magnitude, political leaders have a duty to act,” she said.
“Jewish Australians should never have to look over their shoulder in their own country. Restoring safety and confidence is non-negotiable.
“For too long, antisemitism has been allowed to grow in plain sight,” Ley continued.
“What we saw at Bondi is the consequence of failing to confront extremism early and decisively.”
Ley joined Jewish Member for Berowra Julian Leeser, Senator Andrew Bragg and Senator Jonathon Duniam at the makeshift memorial outside Bondi Pavilion on Monday.
Leeser, who is on the taskforce, told The AJN, “We have to say to the government, enough, we know where this ends. And sadly, today we’ve seen where it ends. This is a day where we need to say no more, and need to ensure that the government takes the action it needs to take.”
NSW Premier Chris Minns illuminated the Sydney Opera House sails with an image of a chanukiah on Monday night.
“This cowardly act of terrifying violence is shocking and painful to see, and represents some of our worst fears about terrorism in Sydney,” he said.
“This attack was designed to target Sydney’s Jewish community. What should have been a night of peace and joy … has been shattered by this horrifying, evil attack.
“Our heart bleeds for Australia’s Jewish community tonight. I can only imagine the pain that they’re feeling right now to see their loved ones killed.
“It’s a responsibility of all Australians to wrap their arms around Australia’s Jewish community and help them get through this incredibly difficult period.”
Former treasurer Josh Frydenberg visited Bondi on Wednesday morning, as did Labor Member for Macnamara Josh Burns.
“This massacre at Bondi is the greatest stain on this nation, has brought the greatest shame to our nation,” Frydenberg said.
“Unless our governments, federal and state, take urgent, unprecedented and strong action, as night follows day we will be back grieving the loss of innocent life in another terrorist attack in our country.”
Burns told ABC’s 7:30 on Tuesday night, “It is our responsibility as members of the government to meet this moment and to stamp out antisemitism.”
Waverley mayor Will Nemesh told The AJN at Bondi on Monday, “This is devastating. The grief is insurmountable. Our community is in mourning. Our thoughts, our prayers, go out to the entire community.”

comments