2026 Budget

Budget delivers extra $22 million for Jewish security

“Antisemitism doesn't belong here. Jewish Australians do,” says Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke.

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke.
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke.

The federal government will provide an additional $22 million to the Executive Council of Australian Jewry (ECAJ) for Jewish community security, Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke announced on Tuesday night as part of the 2026 Budget.

The new funding comes on top of the previously announced $102 million for Jewish community security, bringing total security funding to $124 million over three years.

The measures form part of a $604.2 million package over five years from 2025-26, with $8.1 million per year ongoing, to combat antisemitism, violent extremism and hate in Australian communities.

The package was announced in response to the December 14, 2025 Bondi terrorist attack, which killed 15 people during a Chanukah celebration.

“All of these decisions send the same message. Antisemitism doesn’t belong here. Jewish Australians do,” Burke said.

You have reached your monthly article limit

You have reached your monthly limit of 3 articles. Do you want to keep reading The Australian Jewish News? Subscribe Now
read more:
comments

Enjoy Unlimited Access To The Australian Jewish News Website And All Our Online Content For AUD$18/month Or Just AUD$120/year.

Subscribe Now