PM wont name ‘experts'

Business leaders join growing calls for Royal Commission

The business leaders said the Bondi massacre was a 'national crisis' requiring a 'national response'

Australian Human Rights Commissioner Lorraine Finlay (centre) has joined the calls for a Royal Commission. She is pictured with National Council of Jewish Women of Australia (NCJWA) NSW vice-president Nathalie Samia (left) and NCJWA federal president Lynda-Ben Menashe at NCJWA's Women's Vigil at Bondi on December 21. Photo: Facebook
Australian Human Rights Commissioner Lorraine Finlay (centre) has joined the calls for a Royal Commission. She is pictured with National Council of Jewish Women of Australia (NCJWA) NSW vice-president Nathalie Samia (left) and NCJWA federal president Lynda-Ben Menashe at NCJWA's Women's Vigil at Bondi on December 21. Photo: Facebook

More than 130 business leaders have called for a Commonwealth Royal Commission into the Bondi terror attack and antisemitism, as pressure mounts on Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to reveal which experts advised him against establishing an inquiry.

The business leaders, including former Reserve Bank governors Philip Lowe and Glenn Stevens, Tennis Australia chairman Jayne Hrdlicka, Woolworths Group chairman Scott Perkins and GrainCorp’s Alison Watkins, said the Bondi massacre was a “national crisis” requiring a “national response”.

“As business leaders and proud Australians committed to upholding our values of tolerance and mutual respect, we recognise the need for clear answers as to how the Bondi massacre could occur, and for practical solutions to restore social cohesion and protect the safety of all Australians,” the open letter read.

“We must end the unprecedented harassment, intimidation and violence directed at the Australian Jewish community since October 7, 2023. This is a national crisis, which requires a national response.”

The statement was also signed by former premier Jeff Kennett, former Labor MP James Merlino, former treasurer Josh Frydenberg, former News Corp executive chairman Michael Miller, businessmen James Packer and Larry Kestelman, and Olympian Grant Hackett.

Prominent Jewish business identities including Steven Lowy, Allan Vidor, Greg Shand, Kelly Bayer Rosmarin, Phillip Wolanski, Alan Schwartz and Larry Diamond also backed the call.

Australian Human Rights Commissioner Lorraine Finlay also threw her weight behind calls for a federal Royal Commission on Wednesday night, warning that a narrow review into intelligence and law enforcement failures would not go far enough.

“The Richardson Review will examine our national security framework. But understanding the deeper causes of violence is critical,” Finlay said in a post to LinkedIn.

“The Bondi terrorist attack was driven by antisemitism. Confronting that directly must be a national priority. A federal Royal Commission is essential to fully understand what has happened and ensure it never happens again.”

Albanese on Thursday refused to reveal the “actual experts” who he claimed advised him against establishing a Royal Commission.

When asked for the names and qualifications of the experts, Albanese said: “Well, Dennis Richardson is one. And I’ve spoken about the people who advise the government. They’re the heads of all of the authorities.”

When asked if that meant he had been advised against holding a Royal Commission by the heads of ASIO, the AFP and ASIS, Albanese said: “We take advice from all of our agencies and all of the experts.”

Opposition leader Sussan Ley said she was briefed on Thursday by senior representatives of some of Australia’s security agencies and the prime minister’s claims were not substantiated.

“In those briefings the Prime Minister’s claims that he was advised by actual experts against holding a Commonwealth Royal Commission were not substantiated,” Ley said.

“I won’t go chapter and verse into the briefings. You wouldn’t expect me to. But this is a matter that, given the Prime Minister’s public statements, cannot be unaddressed.”

Ley said she was also briefed by Dennis Richardson, who confirmed his review would not examine the broader rise of antisemitism in Australian society.

“That alone exposes a critical gap. And it is why a Commonwealth Royal Commission is needed,” Ley said.

“Mr Richardson also confirmed that he cannot compel witnesses. He cannot require people to give evidence. And he does not, of course, have the powers of a Royal Commission.”

Ley said if the advice from experts against a Royal Commission existed, the prime minister needed to reveal where it came from.

“Meanwhile, former AFP commissioners and former intelligence chiefs and former defence leaders, and former judges are all calling for a Commonwealth Royal Commission. Even the government’s own Human Rights Commissioner today has called for a Commonwealth Royal Commission, as has former Chief of Army General Peter Leahy,” Ley said.

“The Prime Minister cannot hide behind national security as a political shield. This is a smoke screen. National security is too serious to be used as a cover for political expedience.”

On Wednesday, national and communal Jewish organisations issued joint statements calling on Albanese “to reconsider and exercise national leadership by establishing a Commonwealth Royal Commission into Antisemitism”.

Frydenberg, who was the first to call for a Royal Commission during his speech at the Bondi memorial on December 17, said momentum for a Commonwealth Royal Commission continued to build every day.

“It’s time for the Prime Minister to listen and act and call a Royal Commission now,” Frydenberg wrote on social media on Friday.

Albanese defended his four-part plan, which includes dealing with the perpetrators, the NSW Royal Commission, the Richardson Review and implementing recommendations from special envoy to combat antisemitism Jillian Segal.

“What we need to do is to respond to this issue with unity and with urgency, not with division and delay. That is something that my government is determined to do,” Albanese said.

The terms of reference for the Richardson Review do not include the words “antisemitism”, “Jew”, “Jews” or “Jewish”.

The Bondi Beach terror attack on December 14 killed 15 people during a Chanukah celebration.

read more:
comments

Enjoy Unlimited Access To The Australian Jewish News Website And All Our Online Content For AUD$18/month Or Just AUD$120/year.

Subscribe Now