Fires, injuries as Iran unleashes missile barrage
IDF warns of more missile attacks, urges caution; over 100 drones shot down since Friday, none made impact.
(The Times of Israel) Iran launched several barrages of ballistic missiles at Israel on Sunday, with an evening attack causing several impacts and falling shrapnel, injuring eight people, damaging property and sparking multiple fires.
Seven people were injured in Haifa and another in a town near Kiryat Gat, with one person moderately hurt and the rest lightly injured, according to Magen David Adom. An additional nine people were treated for acute anxiety.
Those requiring medical attention — including a 72-year-old woman suffering from smoke inhalation — were transferred to local hospitals, MDA said.
Earlier, around 4pm, Iran launched another barrage of missiles, sending millions of Israelis into bomb shelters. Most of the projectiles were intercepted by air defences, and there were no reports of direct hits in residential areas.
Also on Sunday, dozens of drones were launched from Iran and intercepted.
The latest missile attacks follow Iran’s overnight barrage of some 70 ballistic missiles, which resulted in several direct hits that killed 11 people — including two children — and wounded hundreds. The attacks came in response to Israel’s ongoing bombing campaign in Iran targeting its nuclear and ballistic missile programs, which Israel has described as an existential threat.
The IDF said on Sunday night that more than 100 drones launched from Iran have been intercepted by the Israeli Air Force and Navy since the beginning of the operation. So far, no drones have impacted Israeli territory.
This figure includes dozens launched on Sunday, with 20 intercepted in a single hour in the afternoon and another seven within an hour earlier in the day. Most were shot down before reaching Israel, with the remainder intercepted on or over Israeli soil.
The drones were downed by IAF fighter jets and helicopters, as well as naval missile boats.
On Friday, Iran launched approximately 100 drones at Israel. Many were intercepted by the IDF, while others fell short or were downed by Jordan.
Separately, one rocket launched from the southern Gaza Strip struck an open area in southern Israel on Sunday night. No injuries were reported. Sirens sounded in Ein HaBesor, Magen and Nir Oz.
Iraqi militia: Tehran doesn’t need our help
The secretary-general of the Iraqi Hezbollah Brigades — one of the largest pro-Iranian militias in Iraq, distinct from the Lebanese group of the same name — said on Sunday that his forces would not engage unless the United States intervenes.
“Iran does not need military support from anyone to deter the Zionist entity. It has sufficient personnel and capabilities for that,” said Abu Hussein al-Hamidawi in an interview with an Iraqi news outlet.
He warned that if the United States becomes involved in the conflict, his militia would directly target American interests and bases in the region.
Following the October 7, 2023 Hamas-led assault on Israel, pro-Iranian militias in Iraq attacked US bases and launched drones toward Israel. However, since December 2024 — reportedly due to an agreement with the Iraqi government — they have not launched attacks on Israel or the US.
Hezbollah in Lebanon has also stayed out of the current fighting, reportedly due to domestic pressure and fear of an Israeli response. The group was heavily impacted by two months of open warfare with Israel last year, which ended with a November 2024 ceasefire.
IDF: ‘Challenging days are ahead’
Further missile attacks are expected in the coming days, IDF Spokesman Brigadier General Effie Defrin said at a press conference on Sunday.
“Challenging days are ahead. There will be more launches and impacts in the coming days,” Defrin said, adding that the Israeli Air Force is “not stopping its strikes [in Iran] for a moment.”
The IDF Home Front Command said Sunday night that, following a fresh assessment, there were no changes to current guidelines for civilians.
All gatherings remain prohibited, schools will stay closed, and only critical workplaces may operate. These measures are in effect until Tuesday night, when the Home Front Command will reassess.
Israeli authorities have urged citizens to follow instructions at all times.
In the event of a missile alert, civilians are expected to enter a protected room within their apartment, a designated shelter in their building or neighbourhood, or a school shelter if applicable. Underground car parks and similar spaces are not considered safe unless officially designated as bomb shelters.

comments