'Genocidal Zionist'

Mark Dreyfus details antisemitic abuse to Royal Commission

Mark Dreyfus says antisemitic abuse became a reality after October 7, prompting calls for stronger laws.

Former attorney-general Mark Dreyfus told the Royal Commission on Monday that being abused as a Jew was a new development in his political life, describing being called a “genocidal Zionist” in a Melbourne street, the vandalism of his electorate office with dual-loyalty slurs, and a stream of online hate drawing on the language of the Holocaust.

Giving evidence as a Jewish Australian and long-standing MP, the member for Isaacs said the October 7, 2023, attacks had changed how it feels to be Jewish.

Three of his great-grandparents perished in the Holocaust, and Australia had given refuge to his father, uncle and grandparents.

He recounted a man responding to his “good morning” in central Melbourne last April by calling him a “genocidal Zionist”. In 17 years in Parliament, he said, no one had ever abused him for being Jewish.

Weeks later his Mordialloc office was vandalised with red paint and the words “who does AG Dreyfus serve?” – invoking, he said, old tropes of dual loyalty. He also described frequent online abuse, some of it from other Jewish Australians, which he had been unable to answer while bound by cabinet confidentiality.

You have reached your monthly article limit

You have reached your monthly limit of 3 articles. Do you want to keep reading The Australian Jewish News? Subscribe Now
read more:
comments

Enjoy Unlimited Access To The Australian Jewish News Website And All Our Online Content For AUD$18/month Or Just AUD$120/year.

Subscribe Now