Gonski to lead taskforce on antisemitism in education
'Of course, more could have always been done. Governments aren't perfect. I'm not perfect,' Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Thursday

Businessman and philanthropist David Gonski will lead a 12-month taskforce to ensure the Australian education system prevents, tackles and properly responds to antisemitism, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced on Thursday.
The announcement came as the government adopted Antisemitism Envoy Jillian Segal’s report in full and unveiled sweeping new hate speech laws in response to Sunday’s Bondi Beach terror attack that targeted Chabad of Bondi’s Chanukah by the Sea event, killing 15 people.
Education minister Jason Clare said the taskforce would include Segal, state and territory representatives and key regulators in early education, school education and higher education.
“Children aren’t born antisemitic. Children aren’t born racist. Children aren’t born with hate in their hearts. This is something that’s taught, this is something that’s learned,” Clare said.
“There’s lots of things that we need to do to tackle and weed out antisemitism, but what we do in education is an important part of that. In preventing it, in tackling it, in responding to it.”
The taskforce met for the first time on Friday.
“David Gonski is a towering Australian. He understands the education system inside and out, and I want to thank him from the bottom of my heart for agreeing to chair this taskforce,” Clare said.
The education work includes teacher training led by the special envoy with support from UNESCO, extra resources for teachers, more investment in programs like Together for Humanity, and embedding understanding of antisemitism and the Holocaust in the national curriculum.
Albanese said the government was fully adopting Segal’s report and implementing all 13 recommendations.
“There is no place in Australia for antisemitism. It is an evil that tears at the fabric of our country. It puts the peaceful, free and equal society that we cherish at risk,” Albanese said.
“The terrorist atrocity that killed 15 innocent people, including 10-year-old Matilda, who will be buried later today, was an attack on our Jewish community. But it was also an attack on the Australian way of life. Australians are shocked and angry. I am angry. It is clear we need to do more to combat this evil scourge, much more.”
The government announced new legislation including an aggravated hate speech offence for preachers and leaders who promote violence, increased penalties for hate speech promoting violence, and making hate an aggravating factor in sentencing crimes for online threats and harassment.
The government will develop a regime for listing organisations whose leaders engage in hate speech promoting violence or racial hatred, and develop a narrow federal offence for serious vilification based on race or advocating racial supremacy.
Home affairs minister Tony Burke will have new powers to cancel or reject visas for those who spread hate and division.
“For too long, there have been organisations which any Australian would look at and say their behaviour, their philosophy and what they are trying to do is about division and has no place in Australia. And yet, for a generation, no government has been able to successfully take action against them because they have fallen just below the legal threshold,” Burke said.
“Today, we’re announcing that we’re shifting the threshold. We have no time for organisations where their mission is to hate Australia and to hate fellow Australians.”
Albanese also announced the Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements would be triggered in response to the attack, marking the first time the DRFA has been used for a terrorist attack.
Segal said the formal response had been a long time coming but built on work that started as soon as the report was delivered.
“We stand, I think, at a very important moment, not only for our community but for fighting antisemitism around the world,” Segal said.
“There are a number of urgent initiatives the Prime Minister has announced relating of course to law reform and visa and immigration work. I’m encouraged by some of the medium-term actions that will take place over this next year relating to education. I think they are incredibly important. We have to lay foundations for the future of the nation.”
Australian Federal Police commissioner Krissy Barrett said a Bonnyrigg man had been charged with 59 offences including committing a terrorist act, 15 counts of murder and 40 counts of causing grievous bodily harm with intent to murder.
“I can also reveal the AFP has ongoing investigations into people who have been described as hate preachers. These individuals who spew hatred and cause fear are on my radar,” Barrett said.
When asked if the government could have done more earlier, Albanese conceded governments could always do more.
“Of course, more could have always been done. Governments aren’t perfect. I’m not perfect,” Albanese said.
“Could we have done more? Of course you could always do more. Do I regret it? Anyone in this position would regret not doing more and any inadequacies which are there.”
Albanese said his heart went out to the Jewish community and he had met with grieving families in their homes.
“What we need to do is to move forward. We are taking action. We have taken action. Previously, since I’ve been Prime Minister, we have taken action. We’ll continue to do more and today as well won’t be the end,” he said.
“This is an evolving process. I want the antisemitism envoy to be a permanent feature of our landscape in this country.”
When asked about the language used at protests, Albanese said hatred starts with language and then moves to action.
“I certainly have been concerned and have expressed continually my concern about some of the language that is used during this, some of the misinformation as well,” he said.
“When you come to Australia, you are here to support our society, which is diverse, but that diversity is a strength. And that is what overwhelmingly Australians want to see.”
comments