Herzog to visit'President Herzog’s presence will bring comfort'

Israeli President Herzog set to visit Australia after Bondi terror attack

President Isaac Herzog expressed his deep horror and shock over the catastrophic terror attack in a phone call with Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.

Israeli President Isaac Herzog. Photo: GPO
Israeli President Isaac Herzog. Photo: GPO

Israeli President Isaac Herzog has been invited to visit Australia by both Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and the Zionist Federation of Australia (ZFA), following last week’s terrorist attack on the Jewish community at Bondi Beach.

In a phone call with Herzog, Albanese expressed his profound shock and dismay over the terror attack against the Australian Jewish community and conveyed his deep sorrow to the families of the victims.

In a statement issued by the office of Israel’s president, Herzog also expressed his deep horror and shock over the catastrophic terror attack at the Jewish community Chanukah event on Bondi Beach. He conveyed his profound condolences to the families of the victims and his wishes for a speedy recovery for all those injured. Herzog underscored the importance of taking all legal measures to combat the unprecedented rise in antisemitism, extremism, and jihadist terror.

Albanese advised Herzog that, upon the recommendation of the Australian government and in accordance with protocol, the Governor-General of Australia will issue an invitation to Herzog to visit Australia as soon as possible. Herzog said that he would accept the invitation and mentioned that the president of the Zionist Federation of Australia also sent him an official invitation expressing his wish for Herzog to visit, and he intends to do so.

ZFA president Jeremy Leibler wrote to Herzog shortly after the terror attack, inviting him to come to Australia to stand with a grieving nation and a shattered community, and he called the visit an important moment of solidarity and healing.

“In the days after Bondi, our community reached out directly to President Herzog because this was not only an attack on individuals – it struck at the deepest sense of safety Jewish Australians have carried for generations,” Leibler said.

“We are grateful that the Australian Government has now taken up that call and, in accordance with protocol, will extend the formal invitation for a state visit. That matters – because it shows, at the highest national level, that Australia stands with its Jewish citizens, and Australia stands with Israel, against terrorism and hatred.

“President Herzog’s presence will bring comfort to those who are grieving and reassurance to a community living with fear. It will also honour the victims and the courage shown on the day – including Gefen Bitton, who remains critically ill – and reaffirm the shared resolve of two democracies to confront antisemitism, hate and violence with clarity and strength.”

ZFA said it looks forward to working with community and civic leaders to support a respectful program of reflection during President Herzog’s visit early next year, including opportunities to honour the victims and stand with those recovering from the attack.

The invitation comes after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accused Albanese of doing “nothing to curb the cancer cells that were growing inside your country” following the terrorist attack.

“You took no action,” Netanyahu said of Albanese last Sunday.

“You let the disease spread, and the result is the horrific attacks on Jews we say today.”

Australia’s Jewish community, as well as the Israeli government, have consistently warned the Australian government about the rise in antisemitism in Australia over the last two years.

read more:
comments

Enjoy Unlimited Access To The Australian Jewish News Website And All Our Online Content For AUD$18/month Or Just AUD$120/year.

Subscribe Now