Canberra bar controversy

No hate crime found in Nazi posters case

Police find no hate crime after Canberra bar displayed posters depicting Netanyahu and others as Nazis.

Illustrative: Police officers in Canberra, Australia, on February 18, 2026. (AAP Image/Mick Tsikas/Reuters)
Illustrative: Police officers in Canberra, Australia, on February 18, 2026. (AAP Image/Mick Tsikas/Reuters)

(THE TIMES OF ISRAEL) Australian police said on Wednesday they will return posters depicting politicians and public figures as Nazis that were seized from a Canberra bar last week under new hate crime laws.

The posters in the window depicted Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, US President Donald Trump, US Vice President JD Vance, Russian President Vladimir Putin and Elon Musk, among others, as Nazi soldiers, complete with the Iron Cross and other Nazi-era symbols.

There were also signs reading “Sanction Israel” and “Stop genocide”, alongside Palestinian flags. Israel has denied accusations of genocide.

Officers declared a crime scene at the Dissent Cafe and Bar and removed the posters after a complaint about possible hate crime imagery. Australian Capital Territory Police said the items were seized in line with laws banning “prohibited symbols”.

Police said they had asked the bar’s management to remove the posters before confiscating them, but according to a statement “the owner declined this request”.

You have reached your monthly article limit

You have reached your monthly limit of 3 articles. Do you want to keep reading The Australian Jewish News? Subscribe Now
read more:
comments

Enjoy Unlimited Access To The Australian Jewish News Website And All Our Online Content For AUD$18/month Or Just AUD$120/year.

Subscribe Now