Bondi attack victims

NSW Government launches $1 million appeal

Rotary will work with the NSW Jewish Board of Deputies to coordinate the distribution of funds to affected Jewish community members, supported by the NSW Government

Nine of the identified victims of the Bondi Beach Chanukah terror attack. Top row from left: Dan Elkayam, Alex Kleytman, Rabbi Eli Schlanger. Middle row from left: Matilda Britvan, Reuven Morrison, Rabbi Yaakov Levitan. Bottom row from left: Peter Meagher, Tibor Weitzen, Marika Pogany.
Nine of the identified victims of the Bondi Beach Chanukah terror attack. Top row from left: Dan Elkayam, Alex Kleytman, Rabbi Eli Schlanger. Middle row from left: Matilda Britvan, Reuven Morrison, Rabbi Yaakov Levitan. Bottom row from left: Peter Meagher, Tibor Weitzen, Marika Pogany.

The NSW Government has partnered with Rotary to establish a dedicated fundraising appeal for victims of the Bondi Beach terror attack, contributing $1 million to launch the fund.

The Unite for Bondi – Bondi Terror Attack Appeal will provide support to survivors and families of those who lost their lives in Sunday’s attack that killed 15 people.

Assistance will include immediate financial relief such as bereavement costs, medium-term recovery assistance, and longer-term needs including medical care, counselling and rehabilitation. The fund will also support longer-term healing initiatives for the Bondi community.

Premier Chris Minns said the appeal provided an opportunity for people to help.

“Despite the unimaginable grief this attack has caused, we’ve seen some beautiful acts of humanity across our city,” Minns said.

“We’ve seen long lines form around blood banks across the country, and community organisations handing out food at Bondi Beach. These quiet acts of humanity mean a lot, and donating is just another thing people can do if they wish.”

Members of the public, businesses, corporates and philanthropists can donate at rawcs.org.au. Donors will receive tax deductible receipts for their contributions.

The appeal is administered by Rotary Australia World Community Service, a registered charitable organisation which delivers benevolent, humanitarian and disaster relief projects throughout Australia and internationally.

Rotary will work with the NSW Jewish Board of Deputies to coordinate the distribution of funds to affected Jewish community members, supported by the NSW Government.

Treasurer Daniel Mookhey said the appeal was a chance to reinforce social cohesion at the grassroots.

“Our community is at its strongest when it pulls together – and what better opportunity to do that than by giving to those who are hurting the most,” Mookhey said.

Recovery minister Janelle Saffin said the government acknowledged the significant loss and trauma caused by the attack.

“We understand that many people want to help, and that’s why we are launching the Bondi Beach Appeal in partnership with Rotary,” Saffin said.

NSW Jewish Board of Deputies president David Ossip said the community had been overwhelmed by Australians asking how they could help.

“This appeal is a way they can. This is an opportunity to ensure the survivors of this massacre are supported, now and into the future,” Ossip said.

“We thank our fellow Australians for digging deep to support the victims of this savage and senseless terrorist attack.”

Multiple other fundraising campaigns have been established to support victims and their families.

JCA NSW, The Dor Foundation and Australian Jewish Funders are working together to enable a coordinated communal response through an emergency relief fund. Deployment of funds will be administered through JCA’s established allocation and governance structures, working alongside a multi-organisation crisis management team to support priority needs including mental health, crisis assistance, medical care, rehabilitation and urgent financial support. Donations can be made at donate.thedorfoundation.org.au/bondi-beach-terror-attack-response/donate.

A GoFundMe campaign has been established in loving memory of 10-year-old victim Matilda. Organised by Matilda’s language teacher, all donations will be transferred directly to Matilda’s mother, Valentina Poltavchenko, to support the family. The campaign can be found at gofundme.com/f/donate-in-loving-memory-of-matilda.

Another GoFundMe campaign has been established to support the family of Rabbi Eli Schlanger, a Chabad emissary who was killed in the attack. Funds will help with immediate living expenses, childcare and education costs, and long-term financial security for his wife and children. Donations can be made at gofundme.com/f/our-beloved-rabbi-eli-schlanger-supporting-his-young-famil.

A United Support Fund for victims and families has also been established, with distribution overseen by a campaign committee and The Jewish House NSW. The fund is endorsed by Merkos–Chabad World Headquarters and Chabad NSW. Donations can be made at charidy.com/supportsydney.

The Atlassian Foundation has launched a fundraiser supporting the Jewish Communal Appeal, which supports 24 organisations in NSW and the ACT. Donations can be made at fundraising.goodstack.io/fundraisers/dl_3759d2a0-ab7d-468a-88f0-727ba159a687.

read more:
comments

Enjoy Unlimited Access To The Australian Jewish News Website And All Our Online Content For AUD$18/month Or Just AUD$120/year.

Subscribe Now