Police queried over security concerns
NSW Police say Australia entered a new security era for Jewish communities after the Bondi terror attack.
NSW Police acting deputy commissioner Peter McKenna told the Royal Commission on Antisemitism and Social Cohesion on Tuesday that Australia had entered a fundamentally changed security environment for the Jewish community following the December 14, 2025 Bondi Beach terrorist attack in which 15 people were killed.
“Australia has, unfortunately, now moved to other Jewish communities around the world who have been living at threat of real and tangible terrorist attacks. We’ve now joined them,” McKenna said.
Before proceedings began, commissioner Virginia Bell condemned the harassment of witnesses, noting one matter had been referred to the Australian Federal Police for investigation.
“The commission is keeping a close eye on these instances and recording these offensive social media posts. Quite what this undiluted level of hatred and bigotry directed towards members of the Jewish community is thought to benefit by those who post these remarks is lost on me,” Bell said.
The Eastern Suburbs PAC superintendent commander, identified only as ABQ, was questioned at length by counsel assisting Richard Lancaster SC about a November 28 email from the Community Security Group (CSG) flagging “heightened risk” and requesting assistance, and a December 8 email making a specific request for police deployment for the entirety of the Chanukah by the Sea event. ABQ told the commission she had read only “part” of the December 8 email.

comments