No shortage of warnings

Rinehart criticises government over Bondi terror attack

In comments given exclusively to The AJN, the mining magnate said, 'too often, warnings were dismissed by people who should have known better'

Gina Rinehart. Photo: Courtesy
Gina Rinehart. Photo: Courtesy

Mining magnate Gina Rinehart has criticised the government’s response to rising antisemitism, saying Australians had raised the alarm for more than two years but warnings were dismissed by people who should have known better.

In comments given exclusively to The AJN this week after Sunday’s terror attack at Bondi Beach that killed 15 people, Rinehart said there had been no shortage of warnings that hatred was escalating out of control.

“For more than two years, Australians – Jewish and non-Jewish alike – raised the alarm. From the scenes at taxpayer funded university campuses, where no or little action took place to quell even the death chants, the ABC spewing out antisemitism, yet taxpayer funds continued to be splurged on them, there has been no shortage of warnings that this hatred was escalating out of control,” Rinehart said.

“Yet too often, these warnings were dismissed by people who should have known better, backbone was required but went missing in action.”

The attack occurred on Sunday evening when gunmen opened fire on families celebrating at the annual Chanukah by the Sea event at Bondi Beach. Multiple people were killed, including Rabbi Eli Schlanger, a Chabad emissary based in Sydney, and 10-year-old Matilda. Many others were injured.

Australian Federal Police have charged a Bonnyrigg man with 59 offences including committing a terrorist act, 15 counts of murder and 40 counts of causing grievous bodily harm with intent to murder.

Rinehart said Australians were mourning family members and friends who were murdered during what should be a beautiful time of year.

“Amongst the mourning and sadness there is also anger that this was allowed to happen. All Australians should care about this,” she said.

“When people come to Australia, they should leave hatred, violence and terrorism behind. If they cannot do that and cannot embrace the values that made this country great, then they should not be here.”

Rinehart warned that gun reform should not become a convenient distraction from the failure to deal with the causes of violent extremism.

“Australians are not stupid enough to swallow this distraction, it’s not the gun that fires itself, or the knife, or the bomb, it is the person using them,” she said.

“Real action is required, including dealing with all those who championed the antisemitic propaganda, and diverted from the truth about terrorist actions.”

Rinehart is Australia’s wealthiest person and executive chairman of Hancock Prospecting. She has been a long-time supporter of the Jewish community and Israel, and has previously spoken out against antisemitism.

“I send my deepest sympathies to all Australians affected by the Bondi killings, and who are still in fear of their lives due to inadequate government action,” Rinehart said.

“Please Australians, continue to demand real action, so this does not happen in our country again.”

read more:
comments

Enjoy Unlimited Access To The Australian Jewish News Website And All Our Online Content For AUD$18/month Or Just AUD$120/year.

Subscribe Now