No laps on Saturday

Stroll to start Australian Grand Prix at the back

'[I’ll] Try and get out tomorrow, I hope, and at least do a few laps in the race and learn a thing or two,' Canadian tells journalists

Engineers work on Lance Stroll's car in the Aston Martin garage. Photo: Peter Haskin Photography
Engineers work on Lance Stroll's car in the Aston Martin garage. Photo: Peter Haskin Photography

Formula 1 driver Lance Stroll will start Sunday’s Australian Grand Prix from the back of the grid after not taking part in Saturday’s qualifying.

It follows Stroll not participating in Free Practice 3 earlier in the day due to an engine problem. In an Instagram post, Aston Martin said there was “not enough time to rebuild the car” after the issues in the morning.

Speaking to journalists in the media pen at Albert Park, the Jewish driver said he still hopes to do some racing on Sunday.

“I heard we had some issues this morning, and it was going to be hard to do any laps today. So that’s what was expected before even FP3,” Stroll said. “[I’ll] Try and get out tomorrow, I hope, and at least do a few laps in the race and learn a thing or two.”

Lance Stroll talking to journalists at Albert Park on Thursday, March 5, 2026. Photo: Peter Haskin Photography

Asked if there were any concerns about whether he could race on Sunday, Stroll was blunt. “There’s concerns. We did three laps this weekend, so there’s concerns,” he said.

You have reached your monthly article limit

You have reached your monthly limit of 3 articles. Do you want to keep reading The Australian Jewish News? Subscribe Now
read more:
comments

Enjoy Unlimited Access To The Australian Jewish News Website And All Our Online Content For AUD$18/month Or Just AUD$120/year.

Subscribe Now