Rising incidents

Suspect appears in court in arson case that Australia blames on Iran

In hearing, Younes Ali Younes confirms he can understand proceedings, but doesn’t enter a plea; will return to court December 4.

Illustrative: A member of the Jewish community reads messages attached to a fence where flowers have been left at the Adass Israel Synagogue in the Melbourne suburb of Ripponlea after an arson there, December 9, 2024. (Martin KEEP / AFP)
Illustrative: A member of the Jewish community reads messages attached to a fence where flowers have been left at the Adass Israel Synagogue in the Melbourne suburb of Ripponlea after an arson there, December 9, 2024. (Martin KEEP / AFP)

(THE TIMES OF ISRAEL) A man charged with setting fire to a Melbourne synagogue appeared in court on Wednesday over the attack, which Australia said had been orchestrated by Iran and has led to the expulsion of Tehran’s ambassador.

Australia said on Tuesday that Iran sought to disguise its involvement in two 2024 attacks, at the Adass Israel Synagogue in Melbourne and a kosher restaurant in Sydney, by using criminals and members of organised crime gangs.

Canberra is the latest Western government to accuse Iran of carrying out hostile covert activities on its soil. Last month, 14 countries, including Britain, the US and France, condemned what they called a surge in assassination, kidnapping and harassment plots by Iranian intelligence services.

Younes Ali Younes, 20, appeared via video link at Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday in connection with the attack on the synagogue in December 2024 that gutted the building and destroyed sacred texts, causing millions of dollars in damage.

He spoke only to confirm he could hear and understand proceedings, and is yet to enter a plea. His lawyer, Mark Aouad, declined to comment on the case, which is due back in court on December 4.

Australia’s Prime Minister Anthony Albanese (C) and members of the local Jewish community visiting the torched Adass Israel Synagogue in Melbourne on December 10, 2024. (DEPARTMENT OF PRIME MINISTER AND CABINET / AFP)

Police have already charged two alleged accomplices.

Canberra’s order for Iranian Ambassador Ahmad Sadeghi to leave within seven days was its first such expulsion of a foreign ambassador since World War II.

Sadeghi was seen for the first time on Wednesday at the Iranian embassy in Canberra since Australia ordered his expulsion. He made no comment to media as he left the building in a white car.

Rising incidents

Since the Israel-Hamas war began in October 2023, Australian homes, schools, synagogues and vehicles have been targeted in antisemitic vandalism and arson, while Islamophobic incidents have also surged.

Australia’s Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said in an interview with ABC Radio on Wednesday that there was no reason to believe the people behind the two antisemitic attacks linked to Iran were aware Tehran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps was directing them.

This picture taken on June 27, 2024 shows Australian Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke (R) listening to Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese speaking at the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra. (DAVID GRAY / AFP)

“But that doesn’t change the seriousness from the Australian government’s point of view that Iran was still involved in directing attacks on Australian soil,” Burke said.

Iran has repeatedly denied such allegations, which it claims are part of a campaign against it by hostile Western powers.

Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong warned Australians to avoid travelling to Iran after the government decided to close its embassy in the country, where she estimates up to 4,000 Australian citizens are currently living.

“If you are in Iran, you should come home,” Wong told Nine News.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office spokesman, David Mencer, said on Tuesday that Netanyahu’s “forthright intervention” and his criticisms against Australia’s decision to recognise a Palestinian state may have triggered Australia’s decision to expel Iranian diplomats.

(L) Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu gives a press conference in Jerusalem on August 10, 2025 (ABIR SULTAN / POOL / AFP) and (R) Australia’s Prime Minister Anthony Albanese speaks during a press conference in Canberra on August 11, 2025. (Hilary Wardhaugh / AFP)

Netanyahu has personally attacked his Australian counterpart, Anthony Albanese, describing him as “a weak politician who betrayed Israel and abandoned Australia’s Jews,” over his decision to recognise Palestinian statehood at the United Nations General Assembly in September.

“Complete nonsense,” Burke said on Wednesday, when asked about Israel claiming credit for Australia’s decision to order Sadeghi to leave the country.

“There was not a minute between us receiving this assessment and us starting to work through what we would do as a response.”

In a comment posted on the prime minister’s official X account on Tuesday, Netanyahu also insinuated that his comments on Australian media helped lead to Australia’s decision to expel the Iranian ambassador.

“A few days ago, I appeared multiple times in Australian media and attacked the Australian government’s lenient treatment of antisemitism,” he wrote.

“I’m happy Australia decided to expel the Iranian ambassador today after it came out that Iran is behind two antisemitic incidents in the country. This is the first step — and let’s hope it’s not the last.”

read more:
comments

Enjoy Unlimited Access To The Australian Jewish News Website And All Our Online Content For AUD$18/month Or Just AUD$120/year.

Subscribe Now