Waverley Council to vote on Royal Commission call
'Now is the time ... to examine how such a devastating and despicable attack targeted at the Jewish community could occur at the iconic Bondi Beach, in the heart of Waverley'

Waverley Council will vote on calling for a Commonwealth Royal Commission into the Bondi Beach terror attack at an extraordinary meeting next week.
Mayor Will Nemesh has called the meeting for Thursday, January 15, with a mayoral minute proposed by both the mayor and deputy mayor calling for a federal Royal Commission into the December 14 attack.
“Our community has been left devastated by the horrific terror attack at Bondi Beach on December 14, 2025. Our community is seeking answers. They deserve to get them,” Nemesh said.
“Now is the time for action to examine how such a devastating and despicable attack targeted at the Jewish community could occur at the iconic Bondi Beach, in the heart of Waverley, and to ensure it never happens again.”
Nemesh said the rise of antisemitism in Australia should also be considered as part of a Royal Commission.
“A national problem requiring a national solution. The victims, their families, our community and the broader Australian public deserve no less,” he said.
A Waverley Council spokesperson said the overwhelming sentiment in the local community and across the nation was for a Commonwealth Royal Commission to be established.
The move comes as prime minister Anthony Albanese was said to be softening on his opposition to a Royal Commission, sources said on Tuesday.
Calls for a federal Royal Commission have come from 17 families representing 11 Bondi victims, over 130 business leaders, 69 sporting champions including Dawn Fraser, over 100 legal figures, former Labor MPs, Australian Human Rights Commissioner Lorraine Finlay, Jewish community leadership organisations across Australia and numerous former senior public servants and politicians.
Opposition leader Sussan Ley said on Tuesday that “words are no longer enough”.
“The Prime Minister has spoken about unity in the wake of this tragic attack. After weeks of delay and added anguish for victims’ families, unity must now be demonstrated through action,” Ley said.
Executive Council of Australian Jewry president Daniel Aghion said it had been “truly heartening to witness the depth and breadth of support we have received from across Australian society for our call for a Federal Royal Commission”.
“We still have hope in our hearts that the federal government will take heed, and that the tide of attacks on Australia’s democracy and way of life, manifested most clearly by the rise in antisemitism, can be turned back and defeated,” Aghion said.
The Bondi Beach terror attack on December 14 killed 15 people during a Chanukah celebration at Bondi Beach in the Waverley local government area.
comments