Accused shule firebomber granted bail
Bail for the man accused of firebombing Adass Israel has sparked deep concern across the Jewish community.
A man accused of firebombing the Adass Israel synagogue has been granted bail despite vigorous opposition from prosecutors and the Jewish community.
Giovanni Laulu, 21, will be released from Barwon Prison to live with his mother under strict conditions.
Melbourne Magistrate Leon Fluxman ruled that prosecutors had not proven he posed an unacceptable risk to the community.
“I accept it’s a line-ball decision, reasonable minds would differ,” Fluxman said on Friday, ordering Laulu’s release.
The decision comes more than seven months after the shule was largely destroyed by fire on December 6 last year.
Police allege Laulu was one of three masked men who smashed their way into the synagogue before pouring 100 litres of petrol and setting the building alight.
Fluxman said there were no allegations that Laulu was antisemitic or had connections to terrorist groups, emphasising he was not charged with terrorism-related offences.
Australia/Israel & Jewish Affairs Council executive director Colin Rubenstein described the decision to grant bail as extremely disappointing.
“The Magistrate was absolutely right when he said that there would be a great deal of consternation among the congregation who were the victims of the abhorrent attack, and justifiably so. That feeling will be shared by the wider Jewish community,” he said.
Rubenstein said the crime has greatly impacted the wider Jewish community’s sense of safety and belonging in this country.
“The Magistrate said there was no evidence the accused had links to terror groups, but intelligence reveals this crime was arranged by Iran’s IRGC, the world’s foremost terrorism sponsors. Indeed, federal Parliament has recently passed legislation specifically to allow it to be proscribed as a terrorist group,” he said.
Rubenstein said AIJAC sincerely hopes this decision does not cause any adverse outcomes or detriment to the achievement of justice in the case, and that all parties involved in “this heinous crime are dealt with appropriately and expeditiously”.
The Adass Israel community had firmly opposed granting bail in a letter, saying the attack had traumatised every segment of their community without exception and that Laulu’s release would undo that fragile sense of security.
Chayim Klein, an Adass community member, told The AJN, “The community is understandably anxious about this recent development, and while we have full confidence in the judicial process, we sincerely hope it delivers the justice we all seek.
“We are deeply grateful for the police, who have shown remarkable support and attentiveness over the past few days, ensuring the wellbeing of every member of our community.”
Member for Caulfield David Southwick condemned the decision.
“This is beyond belief. The Jewish community is still hurting. To see bail granted after such a horrific attack just reinforces how broken the system has become,” he said.
Laulu’s bail conditions include living with his mother, obeying a curfew, reporting to police four days each week, and avoiding Ripponlea and all Jewish places of worship.