Alleged Bondi shooter to face 19 additional charges
The new charges consist of 10 counts of shooting with intent to murder, three counts of wounding with intent to murder and six counts of discharging a firearm with intent to resist arrest
The alleged Bondi Beach gunman is set to face 19 additional charges, including multiple counts of attempted murder, six months after the December 14 terror attack that killed 15 people.
Naveed Akram, 24, has already been charged with 59 offences, including committing a terrorist act, 15 counts of murder and 40 counts of attempted murder over his alleged role in the massacre at the Chanukah by the Sea event.
According to court records, the new charges consist of 10 counts of shooting with intent to murder, three counts of wounding with intent to murder and six counts of discharging a firearm with intent to resist arrest.
The charges were listed by the courts on Wednesday but have not yet been served by police.
There was no mention of any new or impending charges when Akram’s case was mentioned in Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court on Wednesday.
Outside court, Akram’s lawyer Leonie Gittani said the defence team “haven’t been served with any new court attendance notices or anything”.
“Things like this happen in criminal matters. It’s a big matter and a long road ahead,” Ms Gittani said.
“These things don’t come as a surprise, if I can answer it in that way. These charges, once they’re filed, we’ll deal with them at that point.”
Neither Akram nor his barrister, Richard Wilson SC, were in court on Wednesday, but other legal representatives attended on his behalf.
Lawyers for the Commonwealth asked Judge Susan McIntyre to extend interim non-publication orders currently covering the identity of yet-to-be-named victims of the Bondi attack. The orders were set to expire on Wednesday.
The Commonwealth said they required more time to contact and consult dozens of victims – some of them children – about whether they wished to have their names suppressed before submitting a final application for a non-publication order.
Judge McIntyre agreed to extend the interim orders until Akram’s next court appearance, which will take place some time in June.
Akram has yet to enter pleas to any of the charges laid against him.
At a hearing last month, Akram’s application to have the names, addresses, schools and workplaces of his family suppressed for 40 years was dismissed, despite his claims their lives were at risk.
Judge Hugh Donnelly said such suppression orders “should only be made in exceptional circumstances”, and Akram’s was “not an exceptional case”.
Akram’s father Sajid, 50, was shot dead by police during the attack. Naveed Akram was shot in the abdomen and taken to hospital before being charged and taken to Goulburn Supermax prison, where he remains on remand.
According to The Australian, Akram has been charged with discharging a firearm intending to cause grievous bodily harm, public display of a prohibited terrorist symbol and placing an explosive near a building with intent to cause harm.
Police have alleged the attack was inspired by ISIS. According to court documents, it’s alleged that Akram and his father had three pipe bombs and a tennis ball bomb in their possession during the attack, which did not detonate.
Two police officers were injured in the gunfight, including a probationary constable who has lost sight in one eye.