'Straight-up fascist' Premier Allan labels demonstrators 'extremists'

Victorian Premier labels NGV protest antisemitic

There were banners about the gallery having blood on its hands and one sign equating Zionism with fascism.

Demonstrators targeting the Gandel family at the NGV. Photo: Bruce Hill

The National Gallery of Victoria (NGV) was forced into lockdown on Sunday after 1000 pro-Palestinian protesters targeted the institution because of its association with a Jewish family famous for its philanthropy.

Pro-Palestinian social media attacks on the NGV referred to the high-profile John and Pauline Gandel in antisemitic terms, describing them as “billionaire Zionists” with links to Benjamin Netanyahu and describing a 90th birthday party for a senior member of the family as “a secret Zionist meeting”.

This reporter got into the NGV just before the main body of demonstrators arrived.

There were banners about the gallery having blood on its hands and one sign equating Zionism with fascism. Red dye had been thrown into the fountains. Many of the demonstrators disguised themselves with masks.

They could be heard from inside the NGV yelling at police, labelling them “scumbags”.

Police escorted people leaving the gallery through the protest as Public Order Response officers and mounted police arrived to control the situation.

The gallery was targeted for renaming its Great Hall the Gandel Hall.

Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan, using unusually strong language, described the protests as antisemitic, calling those taking part “extremists”.

“The generosity of the Gandels has enriched my family. We’ve had the opportunity to experience the children’s space at the museum that was funded by the Gandels,” she said.

“Those people who choose to cloak their extremism under the conflict of the Middle East are shameful and should be condemned.”

Executive Council of Australian Jewry co-CEO Alex Ryvchin condemned the protesters.

“Sunday’s disgusting protest targeted two Jewish Australians in their 90s, who have devoted their lives to Holocaust education and philanthropy,” he said.

“They daubed a building to identify it as Zionist-owned, and referred to a gala event as a ‘secret Zionist meeting’.

“Anyone with an elementary knowledge of what Zionism is knows how stupid the ‘Zionism is Fascism’ accusation is. But, the actions of these protesters are straight-up fascist.”

The crowd started at the State Library and marched to the NGV.

On Monday, Victorian Multicultural Minister Ingrid Stitt was reportedly defending the protesters. She told the Herald Sun, “In Victoria, people do have the right to protest peacefully and the vast majority of people do protest peacefully.”

Asked repeatedly whether the activists’ behaviour was appropriate, Stitt said that was a matter for Victoria Police.

read more: