Bondi Beach terror attack

Bondi terror accused appears in court

Bondi terror accused appears via videolink in court, facing murder and terrorism charges over Chanukah attack

A court sketch depicting accused Bondi terrorist Naveed Akram. Photo: AAP Image/Rocco Fazzari

Naveed Akram, the 24-year-old accused of carrying out the Bondi Beach terror attack, appeared in Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court via videolink on Monday on 59 charges, including murder and terrorism offences.

Akram and his father Sajid are accused of carrying out the deadly attack on the Chanukah by Sea celebration on December 14 in what has been described as the nation’s worst mass shooting in nearly three decades.

Akram faces terrorism charges and 15 counts of murder. Sajid was shot and killed by police during the attack.

The December 14 massacre at Bondi Beach killed 15 people and injured dozens more, including Chabad rabbis Rabbi Eli Schlanger and Rabbi Yaakov Levitan. The youngest victim was 10-year-old Matilda, while the oldest was 87-year-old Alex Kleytman, a Holocaust survivor.

Lawyer Ben Archbold represented Akram at the brief hearing and told reporters outside court he had not yet discussed the attack with his client.

“In that regard, all that we’re doing at the moment is starting the process,” Archbold said.

“He’s just a client, and he’s a client that needs to be represented, and we don’t let our personal view get in the way of our professional obligations.

“The matter’s been adjourned. I’ve got nothing more to say today.”

The attack sent shockwaves through Australia and the international community. The NSW Government has implemented a range of support measures for those affected, including a $1 million Jewish Community Response Grants Program funding 24 organisations to deliver mental health support and resilience-building initiatives.

A Bondi Community Hub established in the immediate aftermath of the attack recorded more than 1400 visits, with more than 650 applications lodged with Victims Support Services and over 400 businesses supported.

Israeli President Isaac Herzog visited Australia last week, laying a wreath at Bondi Pavilion and meeting with families of victims and survivors.

read more: