"We cannot cower"

Chanukah events to proceed amid extra security

Melbourne Jewish community urged to choose 'light over darkness' after Bondi tragedy

Rabbi Gabi Kaltmann at last year's Pillars of Light event at Melbourne's Federation Square. Photo: Facebook.

Melbourne’s Jewish community gathered on Monday night for  Chanukah celebrations and solidarity events, with some organisers declaring they would not be deterred by what’s happened at Bondi Beach.

The Pillars of Light festival at Federation Square and Chabad Youth’s summer camp program have both gone ahead as scheduled, while two synagogues hosted community solidarity gatherings marking the second night of the festival.

Rabbi Gabi Kaltmann from the Ark Centre, who organises thePillars of Light public celebration of Chanukah and a menorah lighting said the decision to proceed was made in consultation with Victoria Police, Federation Square and the government.

“We cannot cower. We must stand strong, stand up and increase light as it is Chanukah,” he said.

Kaltmann said the community response has been overwhelming.

“Everyone has said that is it is imperative that we as a community, and Pillars of Light go ahead as usual. Chanukah is all about increasing light in our lives, dispelling the darkness, and that’s exactly what the Jewish community needs, together with the wider community.”

He said he expected “masses” to attend, potentially making it one of the festival’s largest evenings.

“We understand that there is the general public that want to stand in strength and solidarity with the Jewish community, and we are offering them an opportunity to join us in Fed Square to light the Menorah menorah.”

Hundreds gathered at Temple Beth Israel, where Senior Rabbi Alison Conyer spoke of defiance in the face of terror.

“The police commissioner warned us against acts of retribution. Well, my act of retribution is making sure that we celebrate our holidays, that we remember to wear joy,” she said.

“In the midst of our mourning, we have to remember this is a celebration of joy and a celebration of defiance. Tonight, we’re here to hold each other. And tonight, we’re also here to say you’re never going to win, and our joy and our pride in being Jewish is so much stronger than any darkness or hatred or acts of terror.”

Rabbi Conyer thanked the politicians and community leaders in attendance, including Executive Council of Australian Jewry president Daniel Aghion, Port Phillip Mayor Alex Makin, and federal and state MPs.

“Our pain is an Australian issue. It’s a Jewish issue and it’s an Australian issue. We need our Australian community around us at this time.”

Chabad Youth Director, Rabbi Moshe Kahn confirmed the organisation’s summer camp program would also proceed, with more than 2,000 children set to attend over 20 camps across the summer.

In a letter to parents, Kahn acknowledged the weight of the decision.

“Every part of us wants to say: let’s pause, let’s delay camp. The emotions we are all feeling right now are real, raw, and overwhelming,” he wrote.

“At the same time, after much reflection, consultation, and responsibility, we believe that this is precisely the moment we must continue.”

Kahn said continuing “does not mean ignoring what has happened” but rather “choosing strength over paralysis, light over darkness, and resilience over fear.”

Rabbi Moshe Kahn, director of Chabad Youth.

He told the AJN the organisation consulted with government, police and the Community Security Group, and had increased security measures including private security and additional police patrols at the outback location.

“We’ve spoken to the Minister, to the Premier. They’ll be giving us additional physical support,” he said.

Kahn said some families have withdrawn from the camp, including Sydney parents whose children were directly affected by the attack.

“One of the parents [said] their daughter literally saw someone get shot, and was there and was lying next to a dead body,” he said.

The organisation is providing additional psychological and emotional support for campers.

“The way you fight darkness is with more light,” Kahn said.

“The children, more than ever, need this. What the children need now is to be together in a positive environment, in a supportive environment.”

He noted the organisation had taken on significant security costs without dedicated funding.

“It would be nice if the government would jump in on that.”

read more: