ECAJ condemns London stabbing attack
Two Jewish men — one in his 70s and the other in his 30s — were stabbed and seriously wounded on Wednesday in the heavily Jewish London neighbourhood of Golders Green
The Executive Council of Australian Jewry has condemned an antisemitic stabbing attack in London that left two Jewish men seriously wounded, warning that inadequate government responses to such attacks create opportunities for escalating violence.
Two Jewish men — one in his 70s and the other in his 30s — were stabbed and seriously wounded on Wednesday in the heavily Jewish London neighbourhood of Golders Green in an antisemitic terror attack, the latest in a spate of incidents targeting British Jews.
Both men were treated at the scene and taken to hospital, with the Metropolitan Police describing their condition as stable. The 45-year-old assailant, who also tried to stab police officers, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.
The head of Counter Terrorism Policing, Assistant Commissioner Laurence Taylor, declared the attack a terrorist incident and said investigators were looking into “whether this attack was deliberately targeting the Jewish community in London”.
In a statement, ECAJ said: “We are distressed to hear of a callous antisemitic attack carried out in London today. The stabbing of two Jewish men in Golders Green follows the recent heinous antisemitic attack targeting ambulances operated by a Jewish volunteer rescue organisation in Golders Green, and the attempted arson attacks at three London synagogues in recent weeks.”
“Reports of possible links to Iran’s Islamic regime, if confirmed, would underscore the transnational threat facing Jewish communities worldwide.”
The newly formed terror group Harakat Ashab al-Yamin al-Islamiya, believed to have links to Iran, claimed one of its “lone wolves” committed the attack, according to the SITE Intelligence Group.
ECAJ said it stood “in full solidarity with the Jewish community of the United Kingdom” and sent “prayers for a speedy recovery to the injured men”.
The organisation noted that only yesterday in Golders Green, a memorial wall paying tribute to Iranians killed for protesting against the regime was the target of a suspected arson attack.
“Often perpetrators will perceive any inadequacies in government or law enforcement response to other attacks as an opportunity to escalate violence, highlighting the need for rapid and effective action to stamp out the scourge of antisemitism,” ECAJ said.
“Zero tolerance for antisemitic attacks, including those which may be supported or enabled by state actors such as the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, is vital to protecting Jewish life and democracies.”
ECAJ called on governments to “urgently protect Jewish communities, hold antisemitic perpetrators to account and demonstrate decisiveness and leadership in responding to antisemitism in all its forms”.
The local Shomrim emergency response organisation detained the suspect before police arrived. The victims were treated by the Hatzola ambulance service, whose medics also treated the suspect.
The attack took place some 300 metres from an arson attack earlier this month targeting four Hatzola ambulances parked outside a synagogue.
UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer said: “The antisemitic attack in Golders Green is utterly appalling. Attacks on our Jewish community are attacks on Britain.”
Israel’s Foreign Ministry sharply criticised the British government, saying: “Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s statements are no substitute for confronting the roots of antisemitism festering across [the] United Kingdom. British Jews should not need security patrols and emergency volunteers to live openly as Jews. Enough words. The UK must act decisively and urgently.”
British Chief Rabbi Sir Ephraim Mirvis said “words of condemnation are no longer sufficient”, while Conservative Party Leader Kemi Badenoch said: “There is an epidemic of violence against Jewish people. It is now a national emergency and needs to be treated as such by the Government and public authorities.”
The number of antisemitic incidents reported across the UK soared to 3700 in 2025, up from 1662 in 2022, according to the Community Security Trust. Over the last month, counter-terrorism officers have arrested more than two dozen people investigating the string of attacks.
WITH TIMES OF ISRAEL