3/4 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup soda water
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Cooking spray or olive oil, for waffle iron
Special equipment: waffle iron
1. Preheat your waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
2. In a large bowl, combine the self-raising and chickpea flours, baking powder, coriander, cumin, turmeric, smoked paprika, allspice, garlic powder, pepper, and salt and mix well. Add the soda water and olive oil and mix until all the ingredients are just incorporated.
3. Coat the waffle iron generously with cooking spray or olive oil.
4. Spread with 1/3 cup of batter per waffle, close the iron, and let the waffle cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it releases easily from the iron. Repeat the process with the remaining batter, making sure to grease the iron before cooking each batch.
5. Serve warm with tahini and Israeli salad.
Recipe by Vicky Cohen and Ruth Fox for The Nosher, myjewishlearning.com/the-nosher.