Jewish artists driven from public life
Doxxing, cancellations and threats have pushed Jewish creatives from Australia's cultural spaces.
Sydney violinist and klezmer musician Ben Adler and author and writing teacher Dr Lee Kofman have told the Royal Commission on Antisemitism and Social Cohesion that Jewish artists have been pushed out of public cultural life since October 7, 2023, through cancellation, doxxing and harassment that institutions and police have failed to address.
Adler, who leads klezmer fusion band Chutney and directs the Shir Australian Jewish music festival, said most of his professional energy is now spent fighting to stop Jewish art being cancelled rather than performing. He went on to describe a systematic erasure of Jewish cultural presence and said his sense of Australian belonging had shifted.
He said a Victorian festival that had headhunted him in August 2023 to headline a klezmer performance told him after October 7 it was no longer appropriate. Adler argued for the band’s inclusion, then shared a de-identified version of his letter in a WhatsApp group for Jewish creatives, which was subsequently doxxed.
A threat to use Molotov cocktails at a Melbourne concert prompted a venue to drop the band, Adler said. He had followed up with Victoria Police at least 15 times since September 2025 with no substantive response.
Adler closed his testimony urging the commission to consider the role of arts and culture in building social cohesion, saying the arts space is where cultures are humanised.
Kofman described the Jewish creative arts WhatsApp group as a safe space amid what she characterised as an unprecedented surge in antisemitism in the arts. The group grew to more than 600 members within a fortnight.
After a member shared its private transcripts, an Excel spreadsheet listing all 630 members with workplace details, social media accounts and, in some cases, family members’ information was circulated online.
Photographs were also published with captions labelling members as “genocidal”. Kofman said she lost approximately 75 per cent of her freelance work, and one couple was forced to relocate.
Despite reports to state and territory police, the AFP and the eSafety Commissioner, she said no one had been held accountable.