Jewish leaders seek review of Fuld visa cancellation
The US Ambassador to Israel intervenes as opposition questions mount.
The Zionist Federation of Australia has urged the federal government to urgently review its decision to cancel the visa of Israeli-American tech advocate Hillel Fuld.
“The decision to cancel Hillel Fuld’s visa just days before he was due to speak is difficult to reconcile with the actual purpose of his visit, which is to speak about entrepreneurship and help raise money for emergency medical services in Israel that treat everyone, regardless of faith or background,” Zionist Federation of Australia President Jeremy Leibler said.
“Whatever one’s opinion is of his online commentary, there is no plausible basis to suggest he would be inciting division by supporting a humanitarian cause.”
The cancellation has prompted an unusual diplomatic intervention, with US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee personally appealing to Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke to overturn the decision.
In a message to Mr Burke, Mr Huckabee described Mr Fuld as a “highly respected member in his community and well known in Israel.”
“While he holds strong views against terrorism and the kind of massacre that occurred on October 7, he would pose no threat to the people of Australia by his actions or words,” Mr Huckabee wrote.
“I do not feel Mr Fuld poses any threat of any kind. I would respectfully request you would be willing to review his visa application and grant the opportunity to make his brief visit for the sake of the very important charity event for the humanitarian emergency medical service organisation.”
Coalition home affairs spokesman Andrew Hastie has demanded answers from the Albanese government, questioning whether the visa cancellation sets a troubling precedent.
“The opposition wants to see this power applied fairly and consistently,” Mr Hastie said. “Now that Mr Burke has established a tougher standard for issuing visas based on political opinion, we will hold him to it, especially when it applies to current visa holders stoking ancient hatreds in Australia.
“To be clear, we will not let Mr Burke pick favourites in relation to this conflict.”
Liberal MP Tim Wilson has also written to Mr Burke seeking clarification, suggesting the decision was politically motivated.
“It seems denying him a visa is less to do with the substance of his content and more to do with the cause he advocates for,” he wrote.
Meanwhile, Hillel Fuld has told Israeli news channel i24 that the visa cancellation is “just ridiculous on so many levels” and represents “a very lame excuse to come after someone who has strong pro-Israel opinions.”
The Israeli-American tech entrepreneur defended the accuracy of his social media posts, specifically addressing government concerns about his commentary on Gaza incidents.
“The tweet, for example, that they named first was my tweet that denied that there was a massacre in Gaza last week, which we now know there wasn’t. So my tweet was, you know, completely accurate,” Fuld said.
He rejected suggestions that his online content promotes violence or hatred.
“Nothing about my tweets. Anybody who follows me knows that I never promote violence, I never incite. I speak facts, and I guess the facts are hard to hear from your side,” he told i24.
When questioned about the distinction between legitimate critique and what the government has labelled hate speech, Fuld was unequivocal about his record.
“I’ve never in my life, without exception, incited that anybody commit any violence of any kind. And I’d go even further than that. I don’t even talk about this war with emotion. I try to keep it factual and accurate, and I’ve been pretty successful at that since the beginning of the war.”
Fuld defended free speech principles when asked whether he would support banning anti-Israel speakers with similar posting histories.
“Of course not – freedom of speech. Anybody can say whatever they want again, as long as it’s not inciting to violence, which I never did. So you know, if it’s an anti-Israel voice, by all means, let him or her speak.”
He described the government’s decision as unprecedented and concerning.
“To ban someone for their opinions, and not even their opinions, their tweets. I mean, what kind of world are we living in? It’s crazy. You can’t make this stuff up.”
Fuld confirmed that extensive diplomatic efforts are underway to reverse the decision, involving senior Israeli officials.
“We’re working many different diplomatic channels right now, all the way up to Israel’s Foreign Minister, the former Israeli ambassador to the UN and the ambassador in Australia, and many, many other officials are trying to work to reverse this decision.”
Fuld expressed particular concern about the broader implications for Australia’s Jewish community and pro-Israel voices.
“On the ground, you have thousands of people in Australia and outside of Australia who are devastated and shocked by this, again, insane decision to ban, you know, not a politician, just a regular guy.”
Fuld warned the decision could set a dangerous precedent.
“So to ban me, who comes next? I mean, who won’t they ban? I mean, based on this, anybody who expresses any pro-Israel opinions will be banned from Australia.”
The Department of Home Affairs cancelled Mr Fuld’s travel visa, accusing him of using social media to deny “documented atrocities” in Gaza, promote Islamophobic views and spread inflammatory content that could incite division.
Mr Burke defended the decision, saying Australia did not want to import “hatred from overseas.”
Mr Leibler confirmed the Zionist Federation was in direct contact with the federal government and had urged them to review their decision as a matter of urgency.
Mr Fuld was scheduled to speak at events organised by Magen David Adom Australia and is understood to be planning to attend virtually if the visa decision is upheld.