Victoria Police: no arrests

Neo-Nazis on the march in Melbourne CBD

A man who confronted the group was allegedly assaulted and taken to hospital.

Photo: Screenshot

Around 100 masked neo-Nazis marched through Melbourne’s Bourke Street Mall at 12.40am on Saturday, dressed in black and wearing face masks, carrying the sign “White Man Fight Back”.

The march occurred ahead of the National Socialist Network’s “national conference” in regional Victoria. A journalist and photographer were allegedly assaulted by members before the conference began. Responding to the march, Jewish Community Council of Victoria president Philip Zajac said, “Eight months after promising anti-masking and anti-hate symbols laws, the government must act now.”

Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan said the state government planned to introduce these laws next month. “I thank police who maintained the public order. It’s clear they need more powers, and we’re giving it to them,” she said.

In footage posted to social media, police vehicles appeared to gather at the corner of Bourke and Swanston streets in front of the neo-Nazi group, before allowing them to proceed. Police followed the group as they marched to Flagstaff Gardens, before they dispersed around 1.25am. A man who confronted the group was allegedly assaulted and taken to hospital.

When Victoria Police were asked why the protest was allowed to proceed, a spokeswoman said, “No arrests were made throughout the protest and police had a strong presence to maintain community safety and to prevent any breach of the peace.

“Victoria Police respects the right to protest; however, there is absolutely no place for antisemitic, racist or hate-based behaviour in our society and police will not tolerate such activity.”

Victorian Opposition police spokesperson David Southwick slammed Labor for letting Victoria become “the hate state”.

“Neo-Nazis marched through out streets protected by laws that handcuff police instead of extremists. Our weak government has failed to keep people safe. When will Premier Jacinta Allan finally wake up?” Southwick stated.

“Labor must immediately introduce a protest registration system, strengthen move-on powers, and enforce laws to unmask these thugs now.”

Victoria’s new police commissioner Mike Bush last month ruled out protest permits.

Victorian Opposition Leader Brad Battin said, “The actions of alleged neo-Nazis is not unexpected when you have a government that is afraid to take a stand against weekly racist protests in Melbourne. Protesters are now travelling from interstate to join these hateful rallies.”

read more: