NSW Premier’s vow after neo-Nazi rally
'If we had our time again, that rally wouldn't have taken place,” Premier Chris Minns said on Saturday.
NSW Premier Chris Minns will look to close loopholes that allowed neo-Nazis to spread hatred outside state parliament after a breakdown in communication led to police giving the vile demonstration a green light.
The National Socialist Network members, dressed in black, held a large banner stating “Abolish the Jewish Lobby” and could be heard saying, “The Jewish lobby is one of the most powerful lobbies in Australia. They bribe our politicians, they coerce our politicians”. A Hitler slogan was also chanted.
Condemnation quickly turned to shock when it was revealed the group had applied for, and been granted, permission for the gathering by NSW Police.
Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon told journalists there had been a “breakdown in communication” and the government had not been briefed despite police approving a Form 1 application which was received on October 28.
“I take it very personally, there was a communication error in the police force for which I did not personally know that today’s protest was taking place,” he said on Saturday. “Accordingly, I had not briefed the Minister.”
According to the Daily Telegraph, Deputy Commissioner Peter Thurtell confirmed he received a briefing about the application on Monday, November 3 and subsequently apologised to Lanyon for not informing him.
“In hindsight, the nature of the White Australia group is of such political interest and community interest … that I should’ve advised the Commissioner. It was an oversight on my part,” Thurtell said.
But he said Police never had legal grounds to oppose the protest. “I’m as offended by these idiots as anybody else,” he added, according to the Daily Telegraph.
In addition, NSW Speaker Greg Piper said he was informed of the rally late on Friday night and immediately requested his staff contact parliament’s security team for urgent intervention, but was told the protest could not be relocated.
“Most people would assume this would have gone up the chain to the Premier. If I knew, so should he. To say this is a failure of communication is an understatement,” he said, according to the Sydney Morning Herald. “This is a failure to be politically attuned to the implications of something like this.”
Speaking in Question Time on Tuesday, Minns said the government is “exploring, including Nazi behaviour and speech, alongside Nazi symbols, to ensure that there’s no ambiguity about this horrifying behaviour in NSW, and no suggestion that launching a protest, a fascist protest, on NSW streets will be tolerated”.
“In addition to that, we’re looking at the Summary Offences Act to ensure that there’s no ambiguity that the agreement to a Form 1 does not accept, in any way, exemptions from hate speech laws passed by this Government,” he said.
It comes after Minns said on Saturday, “”If we had our time again, that rally wouldn’t have taken place.”
NSW Jewish Board of Deputies president David Ossip said, “The chilling images and despicable words of hate which were uttered should never find a home or be accepted in our society, especially outside the heart of our democracy.
“We welcome the swift response from the Government and NSW Police in both examining how this hateful rally took place outside Parliament without objection from Police and making sure that this is avoided in the future.”
Executive Council of Australian Jewry co-CEO Alex Ryvchin said on social media, “Our law enforcement and security agencies need the right legislative tools to monitor and disrupt violent extremists and to prevent them from menacing or physically harming peaceful Australians.”
Member for Vaucluse Kellie Sloane MP said on X, “Time to test our new incitement to hatred laws. These thugs should be locked up.”
Member for Wentworth Allegra Spender said, “The Neo-Nazi demonstration today is appalling … I have spoken to the NSW Police Minister and urge the NSW government and police to look at all prosecution options under the hate speech legislation.”
The AJN understands both Sloane and Spender received threats after their comments about the rally, which was also condemned by Minister for Local Government Ron Hoenig, Member for Coogee Marjorie O’Neill and NSW Opposition Leader Mark Speakman.
Police will investigate to determine whether any offences were committed.