PM Anthony Albanese backs Iran strikes
Albanese defends support for US-Israel strikes on Iran, citing regime’s role in terror attacks in Australia.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese doubled down on his support for US-Israel strikes on Iran when questioned on the ABC’s 7:30 program earlier this week.
“I think that this is a regime which has engaged in international terrorism support, including, of course, here in Australia, with at least two antisemitic attacks, including the financing and promotion of the attack on the Adass Synagogue in Melbourne,” he told host Sarah Ferguson.
“What we are supportive of is the US making a decision about stopping Iran getting nuclear weapons, and also about stopping the role that Iran has played in undermining peace and security in the region.”
It follows a joint statement released on Saturday together with Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles and Foreign Affairs Minister Penny Wong on Saturday night, shortly after the military action began.
“We support the United States acting to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon and to prevent Iran continuing to threaten international peace and security,” the statement read.
“For decades, the Iranian regime has been a destabilising force, through its ballistic missile and nuclear programs, support for armed proxies, and brutal acts of violence and intimidation,” the statement said.
“A regime that relies on the repression and murder of its own people to retain power is without legitimacy.”
Notably, the statement said, “we support the United States acting”, without mentioning Israel.
The government also urged Australians not to travel to Iran and to leave as soon as possible if safe to do so, noting Australia’s ability to provide consular assistance in Iran was extremely limited.
Given security concerns in the region, the government also upgraded Australia’s travel advice for Israel and Lebanon to Do Not Travel.
Liberal Party leader Angus Taylor said the Iranian regime was “authoritarian, antisemitic and abhorrent”.
“It wants nuclear weapons, seeks the destruction of Israel, has encouraged terrorism through its proxies – Hamas, Hezbollah and the Houthis – and has supplied weapons to Russia to support Putin’s invasion of Ukraine,” Taylor said.
“It is also responsible for acts of foreign interference in Australia and igniting antisemitism. Since 1979, the revolutionary Islamic government in Tehran has oppressed, imprisoned and murdered Iranians. We pray for the Iranian people at this time. May courage prevail.”
On the crossbench, the Greens predictably said they condemned “these illegal, abhorrent and unilateral attacks” while teal independent Zali Steggall criticised the “brutal Iranian regime” but said the strikes “represent a dangerous escalation” and added, “We must not forget the suffering in Gaza.”
Jewish communal organisations overwhelmingly backed the action.
Executive Council of Australian Jewry president Daniel Aghion said, “Western nations, led by Israel and the US, must curtail the nuclear aspirations of the Iranian government, disrupt its international terrorism network, and protect the Iranian people from their own leadership.”
Australia/Israel & Jewish Affairs Council executive director Colin Rubenstein said the operation was not only lawful but necessary.
“It also makes the world safer, including Australia. At a time when Iran’s destabilising activities have already reached our own shores, it is vital that Australia is standing firmly with its allies in confronting this danger and preventing the world’s leading state sponsor of terrorism from acquiring the most dangerous weapons on earth.”
The Zionist Federation of Australia welcomed the joint operation “aimed at ending the tyranny of the Ayatollah regime”.
“The people of Iran deserve a future free from oppression,” it added.