PM condemns Israel on Gaza aid restrictions
'I made it very clear that Australia finds these actions as completely unacceptable,' says Albanese.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese strongly criticised Israel’s restrictions on humanitarian aid entering Gaza, calling it “completely unacceptable.”
Speaking at a press conference on Monday, the PM said, “It is outrageous that there be a blockade of food and supplies to people who are in need in Gaza. We have made that very clear by signing up to international statements. I made it clear in a discussion that I had with the President of Israel, President Herzog, in Rome just days ago. I made it very clear that Australia finds these actions as completely unacceptable, and we find Israel’s excuses and explanations completely untenable and without credibility.”
The PM condemned Hamas saying the terror group should have no role in governing Gaza or the West Bank, and reiterated his call for the immediate release of hostages. Albanese also warned against antisemitism in Australia.
“People should not bring conflict here, which some of the acts of antisemitism have done, have attempted to do… But you can be a clear opponent of all that and still be able to be critical of the actions of the Israeli Government,” he said.
Albanese’s comments follow Israel allowing limited aid deliveries into Gaza last week after a two-month blockade, which the UN criticised as severely insufficient to meet the needs of the population. Around 500 trucks with humanitarian aid entered Gaza last week, but there are reports of thousands of trucks on the Gaza border waiting to enter. Israel has said the slow process is due to inspections and to prevent looting.
Australian Jewish leaders shared concern for the humanitarian situation in Gaza, but criticised the PM for failing to condemn Hamas for looting aid or suggesting alternatives to safeguard its delivery.
Executive Council of Australian Jewry president Daniel Aghion stated, “The Prime Minister is correct to say that there is a humanitarian imperative to get food, medicines and other supplies to civilians in Gaza. However, there is also an imperative to stop Hamas and other terrorist groups from stealing these items. The Prime Minister’s statement failed to criticise the looting by Hamas gangs, or to suggest an alternative way to overcome it. Even Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas released a statement condemning ‘Hamas-affiliated gangs’ for looting aid. A similar condemnation was conspicuously lacking in the Prime Minister’s statement.”
Australia/Israel & Jewish Affairs Council executive director Colin Rubenstein said, “Israel is not trying to deprive Gazan civilians of food; it’s trying to stop Hamas from doing so. Israel has been acting in accordance with Article 23 of the Fourth Geneva Convention, which clearly states that aid provision is contingent on ensuring it reaches civilians and does not provide a military or economic advantage to the enemy.
“Therefore, instead of focussing on criticising Israel, Mr Albanese and other world leaders ought to be working with Israel to help aid flow into Gaza in a way that prevents Hamas from stealing it, as many brave Gazans are also now pleading! This war will end very quickly once Hamas has no further access to aid flows – saving Palestinian and Israeli lives and allowing Gaza’s rebuilding to begin. And emphatically calling for the Hamas death cult to surrender and disarm would also be appropriate!”
Zionist Federation of Australia president Jeremy Leibler commented, “We share the Prime Minister’s deep concern regarding the humanitarian crisis in Gaza. However, Australia can and must hold two truths at once: compassion for innocent lives and clarity about who is responsible for their suffering; Hamas.
“Hamas began this war and continues to embed itself among Palestinian civilians, using them as shields and diverting aid for terror. Humanitarian assistance must reach those in need, it cannot be hijacked by those intent on prolonging this conflict.”
Leibler also condemned remarks by Israeli Ministers Itamar Ben-Gvir and Bezalel Smotrich who argued against aid entering Gaza.
“We stand firmly and unequivocally behind Israel’s right to defend itself. That support, however, comes with a responsibility to speak out when rhetoric from within the Israeli government endangers the very principles it seeks to protect. Israel has gone to great lengths to uphold ethical standards throughout this war, and recent statements by Ministers Ben-Gvir and Smotrich are not only dangerous, they are morally indefensible. Their inflammatory language betrays the values on which Israel was founded, weakens its moral standing globally, and fuels efforts to delegitimise the Israeli state.”