'Zero place in society'

Police hunt three graffiti suspects

Pro-Hamas slogan mars October 7 anniversary

Police have released CCTV footage of the three suspects. Photo: Victoria Police.

Victoria Police have launched an urgent investigation and released CCTV footage of three suspects wanted over a series of brazen graffiti attacks targeting the Jewish community on the anniversary of the October 7 massacre.

Detectives from the Yarra Crime Investigation Unit are appealing for public assistance after three separate incidents in Fitzroy and Northcote early Tuesday morning.

Detective Acting Sergeant Travis Jones said the event had been devastating for the Jewish community and emphasised police are fully committed to finding those responsible.

“This behaviour has zero place in society, with Victoria Police and the AFP working hand in hand to locate and charge the culprits,” he said.

The attacks began at approximately 1:10am when three offenders arrived on foot at a retail store on High Street in Northcote and spray-painted the wall.

Police believe the same suspects then struck twice more around 2am – defacing a billboard near Brunswick and Alexandra Parade in Fitzroy with large-scale black paint applied with rollers, and vandalising another store on Alexandra Parade.

The three men, captured on CCTV wearing all-black clothing with hi-vis vests and face coverings, remain at large.

The Australian Federal Police are assisting with the investigation.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese condemned the “abhorrent” terrorist propaganda, saying perpetrators “must face the full force of the law.”

Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles told ABC Radio authorities would examine whether the offences constituted terrorism.

Premier Jacinta Allan called the graffiti “particularly disgraceful” given it occurred as the Jewish community mourned its biggest loss of life since the Holocaust.

“This behaviour does not represent peace,” she said. “I condemn it in the strongest possible terms.”

Executive Council of Australian Jewry co-chief executive Alex Ryvchin described the vandalism as “despicable” and reflecting “the depth of hatred towards the Jewish community.”

“Sadly, for two years now, this has become completely normalised. We shouldn’t have to deal with this.”

Police are urging anyone who witnessed suspicious activity or has information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.

One of the graffiti attacks was at an Officeworks outlet, and a company spokesperson said, “Officeworks condemns the abhorrent antisemitic graffiti that vandalised our store. We stand against discrimination, racism and intolerance, and took immediate action to remove the graffiti as soon as we were made aware.”

read more: