Premier admits state failed to protect citizens
NSW Premier acknowledges state failed to protect citizens during December 14 attack.
Premier Chris Minns acknowledged the state failed to protect its citizens on December 14 during parliamentary question time on Tuesday.
“It is the highest duty of any government to protect its citizens, and it is my sad duty to report that on that day, in that community, we did not do our job,” Minns said.
“Things need to change. Six months or 12 months or two years from that date it cannot also be the case that we have lost the necessary momentum to make changes to confront that kind of evil where it exists in our community and society.”
Deputy Premier and education minister Prue Car said trauma-informed counselling had been provided to schools, including by a specially trained psychologist from Israel, and that extra security support had been offered to schools across the eastern suburbs and those with a high proportion of Jewish students.
“I am sad that we are in a situation where I need to say this as the education minister, but we have offered extra security support,” Car said.
Police minister Yasmin Catley praised the courage of Constable Scott Dyson and Probationary Constable Jack Hibbert, who were severely injured in the attack.
“They put their lives on the line to keep the community safe. They were the model of the bravery that police are called upon to show every single day,” Catley said.
She rejected rumours about police actions on the day as “offensive misrepresentation of the truth”, saying officers “did what they were trained to do” and “saved countless lives”.
Multiculturalism minister Stephen Kamper said the government had provided $3 million in crisis support, mental health services and social cohesion grants, and convened an emergency Faith Affairs Council meeting that launched the One Mitzvah for Bondi campaign.
“Our government has stood shoulder to shoulder with the Jewish community and the entire NSW community, and we will continue to stand with them every step of the way,” Kamper said.
Health minister Ryan Park praised the response of paramedics and hospital staff, while Emergency Services Minister Jihad Dib highlighted the heroism of surf lifesavers, including Jackson Doolan who ran barefoot from Tamarama carrying first aid supplies, and those who used surfboards as stretchers.