Spender backs inquiry but defends Herzog visit
Allegra Spender clarifies remarks after calling for inquiry into policing of anti-Israel protest in Sydney.
Member for Wentworth Allegra Spender has clarified her position to The AJN after posting concerns on social media relating to alleged police heavy-handedness in dealing with anti-Israel protesters last Monday.
Footage was shared widely online of police using force after demonstrators defied a court order not to gather at Sydney Town Hall to protest against Israeli President Isaac Herzog and then ignored police orders not to march.
It led Spender on Facebook to call for an independent inquiry “given the shocking videos that have been shared”.
“I recognise how hard it is for the police to manage the protests, and recognise the behaviour of the protestors at times went from unhelpful to violent, and that short clips don’t tell the whole story,” she told The AJN this week.
“But if the broader citizens are concerned about the images they saw, the only way to address this is an independent inquiry.”
She hoped the inquiry would give the public confidence in police while demonstrating the difficult context officers had faced.
“I don’t believe it helps any of us, including the Jewish community, if there is a sense in any of our community that police are violent or unaccountable,” she said.
“I am personally enormously grateful for the police both during December 14 and since.”
She said she would leave it to the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission to investigate, assess and reach its own conclusions.
On Sky News last week, Spender also took aim at the “globalise the intifada” chant, calling it both “dangerous” and “stupid”.
“The point is that it’s dangerous, particularly at a time where my community has been murdered by people, who are trying to globalise the intifada you know, at some level,” she said.
Spender also defended Herzog’s visit in light of objections from other “Teal” independents.
“The community is still mourning, and I know that it has made a huge difference to many Jewish Australians to have Herzog here in Australia for them and that’s really what I say to people,” she said.
“The focus really needs to be on the Australian Jewish community and helping them heal.
“I have conveyed this to a number of colleagues around this. People have the right to their opinions, but, you know, I strongly disagree.”
Asked by The AJN why she herself was not present at any Herzog events, Spender said she was invited only to the “An Evening of Light and Solidarity” event last Monday night, but was in Canberra.