Woollahra vandal granted bail
The vandalism took place near the Wolper Jewish Hospital and Emanuel Synagogue.
Last week Mohommed Farhat, 21, was granted conditional bail after being arrested and charged with spray-painting antisemitic messages and setting a car alight in Sydney’s east in November.
On Friday, the NSW Supreme Court heard allegations that Farhat had researched the location of a Sydney Jewish hospital before his alleged acts that targeted 10 cars and three buildings in Woollahra. The vandalism took place near the Wolper Jewish Hospital and Emanuel Synagogue.
Shortly after his alleged acts, Farhat was arrested at Sydney’s international airport and charged with 21 offences, including 14 counts of damaging and destroying property.
During Friday’s hearing Justice Richard Weinstein said that Farhat “told the psychiatrist that ‘people were getting in his head'”. Farhat’s barrister Rebekah Rodger also told the court her client faced a “risk of radicalisation in custody”. She presented evidence that her client had no prior criminal history and was not attempting to flee the country by submitting a Jetstar receipt suggesting that Farhat’s travel plans were a holiday booked with his partner.
Justice Weinstein said there was no real evidence about radicalisation and Farhat has not been charged with a terrorism offence.
“Mr Farhat has an unblemished criminal history,” Justice Weinstein said.
“A Hezbollah flag tattoo is as high as it goes.”
Justice Weinstein granted bail with a surety of $1 million and ordered Farhat to be under strict home detention with an electronic bracelet and only allowed out accompanied by a parent.
Rodger told the court that Farhat’s parents would supervise him.
“The family is paying attention now if they weren’t before,” she said.
Authorities continue to investigate the involvement of a second man seen in the CCTV footage, who has not yet been publicly identified.
Meanwhile, a third man was charged last week over a January antisemitic arson attack on the former home of ECAJ co-CEO Alex Ryvchin.
The 25-year old was arrested on the Central Coast last Monday, May 5 and charged with participating in a criminal group, contributing to criminal activity and destroying property to a value greater than $5000. He was granted conditional bail to appear at the Downing Centre Local Court on Thursday, May 29.
Police will allege that the man was not present at the time of the offence but had assisted in planning the incident.