Victorian Premier announces Anti-Hate Taskforce
Jewish organisations welcome initiative following synagogue attack
Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan has announced the formation of a new Anti-Hate Taskforce following the arrest of an alleged perpetrator in the East Melbourne synagogue fire attack.
Jewish community organisations have welcomed the initiative as a necessary response to escalating antisemitism.
The taskforce will hold its first meeting this week and include representatives from government, Victoria Police and the Lord Mayor of Melbourne, with Jewish community representatives invited to participate.
“Where LEAH [Local Escalation and Help group] focuses on problem-solving at a local community level, the Anti-Hate Taskforce will look at the bigger picture across our city and state,” Allan said.
The Zionist Federation of Australia and Zionism Victoria have endorsed the government’s announcement, stating that strong action from leaders was overdue.
“The surge and escalation of Jew-hate in Victoria necessitates the need for strong action from our leaders and government. It can no longer be denied that the extremist chants and rhetoric infiltrating our streets and social media have inevitably morphed from hateful words to violent actions,” said ZFA President Jeremy Leibler.
“Nearly two years of extremists calling for death and murder on our streets, proudly displaying the flags of terrorist organisations at protests, and calling for the boycotts of Israeli-owned businesses, has culminated in violence.”
President of Zionism Victoria, Elyse Schachna, emphasised the broader implications of recent attacks.
“We must be unequivocal: the pogrom on Friday night at both an Israeli restaurant and a synagogue clearly demonstrates that this isn’t just merely anti-Israel, it’s always been about Jews,” she said.
“We are hopeful this new Taskforce will yield tangible outcomes that not only make our state safer for Jewish people, but for all Victorians.”
The Premier thanked Victoria Police for their “swift work to apprehend and charge the alleged perpetrator of the sickening crime at the East Melbourne synagogue.”
The new taskforce will receive updates on Victoria Police’s plans to operationalise criminal components of the Anti-Vilification and Social Cohesion Act, progress from Local Escalation and Help group meetings within the Jewish community, and development of legislation for increased police powers regarding extreme protests.
The government will provide funding for mental health support to the East Melbourne Hebrew Congregation, particularly for children who were inside the building when the fire was lit. In December, the congregation received $80,000 in government funding for security infrastructure.
Allan highlighted recent government initiatives including the landmark Anti-Vilification and Social Cohesion Bill passed earlier this year, and announced new laws targeting “extreme, dangerous and radical public demonstrations” including bans on face coverings, attachment devices and terrorist symbols.
“Places of worship like this synagogue are a part of our fabric as a society. We will protect them with everything we’ve got,” Allan said.
“Hate doesn’t belong in Victoria. It has no place outside synagogues or inside restaurants. We have a strong action plan and we’re implementing it piece by piece. We back our police, we’re giving them more powers – and we won’t rest until every Victorian feels safe to be who they are.”
The government has also commissioned the Lekakis Review into the multicultural sector, with recommendations expected soon including a proposed social cohesion pledge for organisations receiving government funding.
LEAH was established earlier this year to support the Jewish community at a local level, with direct links into government.